Participate in research
If you are aged 18-22 and use e-cigarettes OR smoke roll-your-own cigarettes, we are inviting you to be interviewed for our study. Please click here to register your interest. Compensation will be provided.
- World No Tobacco Day 31st May 2016
- ENSP / ERS Joint Conference: Join the European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention together with the European Respiratory Society to support WHO's call to action, highlight the evidence behind plain packaging, congratulate Member States which have implemented the measure and encourage the remaining countries to follow suit. World No Tobacco Day 31st May
- All Island Environmental Health Forum- climate for change. 26th- 27th May Radisson Blu Hotel Galway.
- A Tobacco Free Island– How are we doing? Tuesday, 14 June 2016 Clayton Hotel, Belfast
- SRNT EUROPE 2016 in Prague September 8th - 10th
- 5th International City Health Conference London, 19 September 2016
- European Respiratory Society (ERS) Meeting London Sept 3rd- 7th
- Irish Thoracic Society Meeting 18th - 19th November Killiney Castle Co Dublin.
- 7th ECToH conference on Tobacco or Health will be held in Porto, Portugal, at the Sheraton Porto Hotel, from March 22nd till 25th, 2017.
- Letter in the Irish Times May 19th 2016 from Environmental Health Association Ireland regarding comments of Mr. Finian McGrath who referred to smokers as “soft targets”
- European Court of Justice upholds Tobacco Products Directive:Great news from the European Court of Justice – all three challenges against the EU Tobacco Products Directive were rejected today May 4th 2016. The Court rejected the challenge brought by Philip Morris and British American Tobacco which sought to invalidate the TPD as a whole, or alternatively various provisions of the Directive including, inter alia, mandatory large pictorial warnings, the ban on characterising flavours and measures concerning tracking and tracing.
- An assessment of the economic costs of smoking in Ireland: Key findings:It is estimated that smoking causes 5,870 deaths per annum with an additional 92 per annum as a result of exposure to second hand smoke (SHS). This is an increase from an estimated 5,200 deaths per annum previously calculated, the increase is due to more cancers and respiratory diseases being attributable to smoking than heretofore.
The estimated cost to the healthcare system as a result of smoking is over a half a billion euro (€506 million) as outlined below:
· Hospital based costs €211 million
· Primary care costs €256 million
· Domiciliary care costs €40 million.
Residential Solid Fuel and Air Pollution Study
- The European Parliament is urged to reject the renewal of EU agreement with the tobacco industry. In Brussels, 9th March 2016 – MEPs were asked to vote for or against the 2016/2555 resolution, which firmly encourages the European Commission to cease any agreement or negotiation with Philip Morris International (PMI) to tackle smuggled and illicit tobacco trade. This kind of agreement with the tobacco industry is now in direct conflict with WHO FCTC article 5.3, signed and ratified by the EU, which highly requires all parties to reject any type of partnership and agreement with the tob