Participate in research
If you are aged 18-22 and use e-cigarettes OR smoke roll-your-own cigarettes, we are inviting you to be interviewed for our study. Please click here to register your interest. Compensation will be provided.
- World No Tobacco Day 31st May 2016
- ENSP / ERS Joint Conference: Join the European Network for Smoking and Tobacco Prevention together with the European Respiratory Society to support WHO's call to action, highlight the evidence behind plain packaging, congratulate Member States which have implemented the measure and encourage the remaining countries to follow suit. World No Tobacco Day 31st May
- SRNT EUROPE 2016 in Prague September 8th - 10th
- 5th International City Health Conference London, 19 September 2016
- European Respiratory Society (ERS) Meeting London Sept 3rd- 7th
- Irish Thoracic Society Meeting 18th - 19th November Killiney Castle Co Dublin.
- 7th ECToH conference on Tobacco or Health will be held in Porto, Portugal, at the Sheraton Porto Hotel, from March 22nd till 25th, 2017.
- European Court of Justice upholds Tobacco Products Directive:Great news from the European Court of Justice – all three challenges against the EU Tobacco Products Directive were rejected today May 4th 2016. The Court rejected the challenge brought by Philip Morris and British American Tobacco which sought to invalidate the TPD as a whole, or alternatively various provisions of the Directive including, inter alia, mandatory large pictorial warnings, the ban on characterising flavours and measures concerning tracking and tracing.
An assessment of the economic costs of smoking in Ireland: Key findings:It is estimated that smoking causes 5,870 deaths per annum with an additional 92 per annum as a result of exposure to second hand smoke (SHS). This is an increase from an estimated 5,200 deaths per annum previously calculated, the increase is due to more cancers and respiratory diseases being attributable to smoking than heretofore.
The estimated cost to the healthcare system as a result of smoking is over a half a billion euro (€506 million) as outlined below:
· Hospital based costs €211 million
· Primary care costs €256 million
· Domiciliary care costs €40 million.
Residential Solid Fuel and Air Pollution Study
- The European Parliament is urged to reject the renewal of EU agreement with the tobacco industry. In Brussels, 9th March 2016 – MEPs were asked to vote for or against the 2016/2555 resolution, which firmly encourages the European Commission to cease any agreement or negotiation with Philip Morris International (PMI) to tackle smuggled and illicit tobacco trade. This kind of agreement with the tobacco industry is now in direct conflict with WHO FCTC article 5.3, signed and ratified by the EU, which highly requires all parties to reject any type of partnership and agreement with the tobacco industry.
- New publication from TFRI asks: are e-cigarettes an effective cessation tool or a public health threat? Read the full article here.
- TackSHS is a new research project funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme. TackSHS_ aims to improve our understanding of second-hand tobacco smoke and e-cigarette emissions and find ways of tackling the health burden caused by exposure to these aerosols. On the 14th and 15th of Dec 2014 over 30 professionals from six countries in Europe met in Barcelona for a two-days kick-off meeting, during which each team presented their work programme for the next four years. Read more
- Minister for Health, Leo Varadkar TD, launched the 2014 Health Behaviour in School Children Survey yesterday, 9th December. Full report
- Air pollution is the single largest environmental health risk in Europe. It shortens people’s lifespan and contributes to serious illnesses such as heart disease, respiratory problems and cancer. A new report published today by the European Environment Agency (EEA) estimates that air pollution continues to be responsible for more than 430 000 premature deaths in Europe.